Written protocols should be in place and reviewed annually with your veterinarian and employees to ensure that certain procedures are carried out appropriately.
To reduce odors, dust, and/or noxious gases.
How to assess:
Review the air quality protocol to confirm that the following information is included and that appropriate criteria are being met:
National Dairy FARM Program
- Improve air quality with manure management, husbandry practices, and good air movement from natural or mechanical ventilation systems
- A minimum of 4 air changes per hour in the winter and 40-80 air changes per hour in the summer
- Housing air flow must control moisture (condensation), odor, and ammonia at <25 ppm
- Calf housing and pens must be adequately ventilated
- Emergency action system for confined housing must have cross- or tunnel-ventilation